Monday, July 3, 2017

real analysis - Continuity and uniform convergence counterexample




I have been having trouble finding a suitable counterexample to my problem, which I have written below.



For each $n\geq 1$, let $f_{n}\colon \mathbb{R}\to\mathbb{R}$ be a continuous function and suppose that the sequence of functions $(f_n)_{n=1}^\infty$ is uniformly bounded. If $f_n \xrightarrow[n \to \infty]{} f$ pointwise on $\mathbb{R}$, where $f\colon \mathbb{R}\to\mathbb{R}$ is continuous, can it be concluded that $f_n$ converges to to f uniformly on $\mathbb{R}$?



I think the answer is no, but I can't think of a counterexample. Thanks for any help in advance.


Answer



No, take $f_n(x) = 1/(1+(x-n)^2)$ for example. Then $f_n\to 0$ pointwise on $\mathbb R,$ but $f_n$ does not converge to $0$ uniformly. Why? Because that would say $\sup_{\mathbb R} f_n \to 0.$ But $\sup_{\mathbb R} f_n =1$ for all $n.$


No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...