Tuesday, July 18, 2017

elementary number theory - Let $a in Bbb Z$ such that $gcd(9a^{25}+10:280)=35$. Find the remainder of $a$ when divided by 70.



I'm stuck with this problem from my algebra class. We've recently been introduced to Fermat's little theorem and the Chinese Remainder Theorem.




Let $a \in \Bbb Z$ such that $gcd(9a^{25}+10:280)=35$. Find the remainder of $a$ when divided by 70.





So far I've tried to solve the congruence equation $9a^{25} \equiv -10 \pmod {35}$. The result for (using inverses and Fermat's theorem) is $a \equiv 30 \pmod {35}$



If this is ok, what should I do next? Thanks!


Answer



Yes, $a\equiv 30\pmod{35}$. Since you have a proof of this, I will not write one out. Now you are nearly finished. For note also that $a$ is odd.
This is because if $a$ were even, the gcd of $9a^{25}+10$ and $280$ would be even.



Since $a\equiv 30\pmod{35}$ and $a$ is even, it follows that $a\equiv 65\pmod{70}$.


No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...