Wednesday, March 1, 2017

algebra precalculus - Expressing polynomial as sum of 2 squares.


I got the following question.


Given the following:


$4n+1=x^2+y^2$ and $ n=((a^2+a)/2)+(b^2+b)/2)$


I've been asked to express "x" and "y" in terms of "a" and "b" . But I just can't get it right, I always end up with something in terms of "x" or "y".


I got to this point and can't seem to get further on my own:


$2a^2+2b^2+2a+2b+1=x^2+y^2$


Answer




Well ... you just have to make the algebraic observation / guess



$2a^2 + 2b^2 + 2a + 2b + 1 = (a+b+1)^2 + (a-b)^2$




Another possible expression is



$( \sqrt{2} a + \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2} ) ^2 + ( \sqrt{2} b + \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2} ) ^2$




Based on the coefficients, good first guess are




$a \pm b, a \pm b \pm 1$.



We are lucky that these worked.
Otherwise, w could have tried



$\alpha a \pm \beta b$



No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...