Friday, March 3, 2017

calculus - Convergence or divergence of $sum_{n=1}^{infty} frac{ln(n)}{n^2}$





$$\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{\ln(n)}{n^2}$$




The series is convergent or divergent?
Would you like to test without the full ...
I've thought of using the comparison test limit, but none worked, tried searching a number smaller or larger compared to use, but I got no ... Could anyone help me?



Please write correctly, because I am Brazilian and use translator ....


Answer




First proof" Cauchy's Condensation Test (why is it possible to use it?):



$$2^na_{2^n}=\frac{2^n\log(2^n)}{2^{2n}}=\frac{n}{2^n}\log 2$$



And now it's easy to check the rightmost term's series convergence, say by quotient rule:



$$\frac{n+1}{2^{n+1}}\frac{2^n}n=\frac12\frac{n+1}n\xrightarrow[n\to\infty]{}\frac12<1$$



Second proof: It's easy to check (for example, using l'Hospital with the corresponding function) that




$$\lim_{n\to\infty}\frac{\log n}{\sqrt n}=0\implies \log n\le\sqrt n\;\;\text{for almost every}\;\;n\implies$$



$$\frac{\log n}{n^2}\le\frac{\sqrt n}{n^2}=\frac1{n^{3/2}}$$



and the rightmost element's series converges ($\,p-$series with $\,p>1\,$) , so the comparison test gives us that our series also converges.


No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...