Tuesday, March 28, 2017

integration - Integrating definite integral $int_a^infty frac{1}{log (t)} , dt$ and then $int_a^infty frac{e^{-st}}{log (t)} , dt$



The differentiation of $\operatorname{Li}(t)$ gives $$\frac{1}{\log t}$$



In mathematica using D[LogIntegral[t], t] it confirms this as one would expect.




But I'm having difficulty integrating:



$$\int_a^\infty \frac 1 {\log (t)} \, dt$$



I'm not sure by hand how to do this and it certainly won't compute in mathematica; yet it differentiates $\operatorname{Li}(t).$ I can see that with limit a set to zero there would be a problem with it going to infinity as it approaches the $y$-axis, something like $a=2$ would not present that problem.



A similar question was posed here:
Convergence or Divergence using Limits
but only established that it is divergent and did not explain that it came from $\operatorname{Li}(t)$ and what would be needed to get back.




Further I cannot integrate $$\int_a^\infty \frac{e^{-st}}{\log (t)} \, dt$$
again with $a=0$ this would be a problem I suppose, but $a=2$ should be okay.


Answer



$$\int_a^\infty \frac{dt}{\log t} \tag{$*$}$$ does not converge. $$\log t < t \to \frac{1}{\log t}>\frac{1}{t}$$ and as $$\int_a^\infty \, \frac{dt}{t}$$ diverges, so does the $(*)$



The second integral converges for any $s>0;\;a>1$, but I can't find a closed form and I think It doesn't exist



Hope this helps


No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...