Wednesday, April 24, 2019

Laplace transform of $ t^{1/2}$ and $ t^{-1/2}$



Prove the following Laplace transforms:



(a) $ \displaystyle{\mathcal{L} \{ t^{-1/2} \} = \sqrt{\frac{ \pi}{s}}} ,s>0 $



(b) $ \displaystyle{\mathcal{L} \{ t^{1/2} \} =\frac{1}{2s} \sqrt{\frac{ \pi}{s}}} ,s>0 $




I did (a) as following:



(a) $ \displaystyle{\mathcal{L} \{ t^{-1/2} \} = \int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-st} t^{-1/2}dt }$. Substituting $st=u$ and using the fact that $\displaystyle { \int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-u^2}du=\sqrt{\pi} }$ we are done.



Is there a similar way about (b)? Can we make a substitution to get in (a)?



edit: I know the formula $ \displaystyle \mathcal{L} \{ t^n \} = \frac{\Gamma (n+1)}{s^{n+1}}, n>-1 ,s>0$ , but I would like to see a solution without this.



Thank's in advance!


Answer




Like I mentioned earlier, there is the rule $\mathcal{L}\{tf(t)\}=-F'(s)$, here applicable with $f(t)=t^{-1/2}$.



Or just directly apply $d/ds$ to part (a). Integration by-parts is equivalent ($u=t^{1/2},dv=e^{-ts}dt$).


No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...