Thursday, July 12, 2018

real analysis - Find a differentiable $f$ such that $f'$ is not continuous.





I'm trying to solve this problem:




Find a differentiable function $f:\mathbb{R} \longrightarrow \mathbb{R}$ such that $f':\mathbb{R} \longrightarrow \mathbb{R}$ is not continuous at any point of $\mathbb{R}$.




Any hints would be appreciated.


Answer



You are looking for a derivative that is discontinuous everywhere on $\Bbb R$. Such a function doesn't exist. Since $f'$ is the pointwise limit of continuous functions, it is a Baire class $1$ function. A theorem of Baire says that the set of discontinuities of $f'$ is a meager subset of $\Bbb R$.


No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...