Saturday, July 7, 2018

calculus - Finding the sum for the following series



Evaluate



$$ \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^n}{(2n+1)3^n } $$



I can show very easily that this series converges using the alternating series test. By setting



$$b_n = \frac{1}{(2n+1)3^n} \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \Rightarrow b_n \leq b_{n+1}$$

and
$$ \lim_{n \to \infty} \frac{1}{(2n+1)3^n} = 0$$



However, what is the sum of the series? I can't find it. I tried to write it out term by term but I don't see any pattern.


Answer



Note that the power series of $\arctan(x) $ is
$$ \arctan(x) = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (-1)^n \frac{x^{2n+1}}{2n+1} $$



Also note that $$ \arctan(\frac{1}{\sqrt{3} }) = \frac{\pi}{6} $$




Therefore,



$$ \frac{\pi}{6} = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (-1)^n \frac{\big(\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}\big)^{2n+1}}{2n+1} = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{6}{\sqrt{3}} \frac{(-1)^n}{(2n+1)3^n} $$



Thus,



$$\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^n}{(2n+1)3^n} = \frac{\sqrt{3}\pi }{6} $$


No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...