Sunday, July 29, 2018

probability - When rolling multiple dice, what is the average value if you only keep the highest roll?

These questions come up regarding a RPG in which you roll multiple dice, but only keep the highest value. So, suppose I were to roll 5 dice, each of which has 12 sides (numbered from 1 to 12). If I only keep the highest roll, what would the average end up being?



To throw in an additional level of complication, what would happen if the dice "explode" or "penetrate"?
Explode/Penetrate=If you roll a die and roll the highest value (if you roll an 8 on an eight sided die), re-roll the die and add the results together. Repeat until you do not roll the maximum value.

No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...