Wednesday, September 16, 2015

abstract algebra - On the existence of an algebraically closed field containing other fields




This question arose while I was reading a paper I found in the web.
It might be very simple, but I don't know the answer.
Let $\mathbb{R}$ be the set of real numbers and $\mathbb{Q}_p$ the set of all $p$-adic numbers.



My question is: how can I construct (or at least guarantee the existence of) an algebraically closed field $\Omega$ of characteristic $0$ containing both $\mathbb{R}$ and $\mathbb{Q}_p$ for all primes $p$?



More generally, given a finite or infinite family of fields with the same characteristic (and possibly a common subfield), can I prove the existence of such a field? If not, under which conditions does it hold?



Thank you in advance for your help.




Edit: about my background, my level is basic; that is, I know what an algebraically closed field is and basic facts about Field Theory from a basic Galois theory course


Answer



It is possible to embed the algebraic closure of $\Bbb Q_p$ into $\Bbb C$, if you want. We also can consider the completion $\Bbb C_p$ of $\overline{\Bbb Q_p}$. This field is called the field of $p$-adic complex numbers.



The details have been already discussed at this site, e.g., here:



Is there an explicit embedding from the various fields of p-adic numbers $\mathbb{Q}_p$ into $\mathbb{C}$?



The embedding is guaranteed by the axiom of choice.


No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...