Wednesday, January 18, 2017

trigonometry - Describing sine in terms of cosine



The problem says:





Show if $\sin{\theta} = \sqrt{1 - \cos^2{\theta}}$ if $\sin{\theta}$ is positive and $\sin{\theta} = -\sqrt{1 - \cos^2{\theta}}$ if $\sin{\theta}$ is negative.




I know that $\sin^2{\theta} + \cos^2{\theta}=1$ which can be proven with the Pythagorean Theorem. I also understand we can rearrange the above formula to get $\sin{\theta} = \sqrt{1 - \cos^2{\theta}}$, but how to show that if $\sin{\theta}$ is negative, then $\sin{\theta} = -\sqrt{1 - \cos^2{\theta}}$?



I can't bring that together with the Pythagorean Theorem (this was my first thought to use) to proof it.


Answer



Note that if $x^2=16$ we get $x=\pm 4$ where $4$ is positive and $-4$ is negative.




Similarly $$\sin ^2x = 1- \cos ^2 x \implies \sin x = \pm \sqrt {1-\cos ^2 x}$$



where the positive sign is for the positive $\sin x$ and the negative sign for the negative $\sin x$


No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...