Sunday, January 29, 2017

arithmetic progressions - How do I derive a formula for summation of this series?



I have a series in which the general term is represented by



$a_n = \frac{k^{n+1} - k - nk +n}{(k-1)^2} $




where $k$ is a constant.



How do I derive the formula for $\sum_{n=1}^{n=b} S_n$ (summation of n terms)?



I'm not really good at mathematics (high school level), so kindly explain it in the simplest way possible.


Answer



HINT



Note that you can divide and sum each part separately




$$a_n = \frac{k^{n+1} - k - nk +n}{(k-1)^2}=\frac{k^{n+1} - k }{(k-1)^2}-\frac{nk -n}{(k-1)^2}= \frac{k^{n+1} }{(k-1)^2}-\frac{k }{(k-1)^2}-\frac{n}{(k-1)}$$



and



$$\sum_{n=1}^{n=b} k^{n+1}=\sum_{n=0}^{n=b-1} k^{n+2}=k^2\sum_{n=0}^{n=b-1} k^{n}=k^2\frac{1-k^b}{1-k}$$



$$\sum_{n=1}^{n=b} n=\frac{b(b+1)}{2}$$


No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...