Monday, January 23, 2017

Functional Equation $f(x+y)=f(x)+f(y)+f(x)f(y)$

I need to find all the continuous functions from $\mathbb R\rightarrow \mathbb R$ such that $f(x+y)=f(x)+f(y)+f(x)f(y)$. I know, what I assume to be, the general way to attempt these problems, but I got stuck and need a bit of help. Here is what I have so far:



Try out some cases:



Let $y=0$: $$ \begin{align}
f(x)&=f(x)+f(0)+f(x)f(0)
\\ 0&=f(0)+f(x)f(0)
\\0 & = f(0)[1+f(x)]

\end{align}$$
Observe that either $f(0)=0$ or $f(x)=-1$. So this gives me one solution, but I am having trouble finding the other solution(s). Somebody suggested to me that $f(x)=0$ is also a solution but I can't find a way to prove what they said is true. Can anyone please, without giving away the answer, give me a teeny hint? I really want to figure this out as much as I can. I've tried the case when $y=-x$ and $x=y$ but I don't feel like those cases help me towards the solution.



Thanks in advance

No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...