Tuesday, January 7, 2020

elementary number theory - Prove that if $d$ is a common divisor of $a$ and $b$, then $gcd(a,b)/d = gcd(a/d,b/d)$.




Prove that, given $a,b,d$ integers, if $d$ is a common divisor of $a$ and $b$, then $\frac{\gcd(a,b)}{d}=\gcd(\frac{a}{d},\frac{b}{d})$.





So far I have what was given:



$a=dk$, $b=dk'$



Now: i give the $\gcd$ the next value $\gcd(a,b)=t$ and so i know that




  • $t$ divides $a$ then $a=t*t'$


  • $t$ divides $b$ then $b=t*t''$

  • $d$ divides $t$ then $t=rd$

  • $t$ can be expressed as the linear combination $t=ax +by$



That is all the information that I have.



I don't know how to start. I tried to start by



$\frac{\gcd(a,b)}{d}=\frac{t}{d}=\dots$ but I keep getting nowhere.





How should I proceed?



Answer



We know that there exist $x,y \in \mathbb{Z}$ s.t.



$$\gcd(a,b) = ax + by$$



Now divide both sides by $d$ to get that:




$$\frac{\gcd(a,b)}{d} = \frac ad x + \frac bd y$$



From here we conclude that $\gcd\left(\frac ad, \frac bd\right)$ divides $ \frac{\gcd(a,b)}{d}$



Similarly we have that there exist $s,t \in \mathbb{Z}$ s.t



$$\gcd\left(\frac ad, \frac bd\right) = \frac ad s + \frac bd t$$



Multiply both sides by $d$ to get that




$$d \cdot\gcd\left(\frac ad, \frac bd\right) = a s + b t$$



From here we get that $\gcd(a,b)$ divides $d \cdot\gcd\left(\frac ad, \frac bd\right)$



From both relation we conclude that $\gcd\left(\frac ad, \frac bd\right)= \frac{\gcd(a,b)}{d}$. Hence the proof.


No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...